Friday, July 5, 2013

California

My last night in Portland was a pleasant one, with Karen B. preparing a sumptuous repast of grilled chicken with mango salsa, fresh sautéed green beans and a delicious carrot salad with sesame oil.  Jordan put on soft jazz and we enjoyed a special dinner.  it is such a treat for me to have others cook for me, it really feels like vacation when that happens!!

The next morning was time to say goodbye and get on an airplane to California. Jan picked me up in San Luis Obispo on Wed. late afternoon and we have been having a great time since.

Jan lives in a small costal community called Los Osos, about 20 minutes from the airport in San Luis. It is a delightful place with great scenery and even greater people. Jan appears to know ALL 10,000 residents, and we can't walk far without meeting a friend.  On July 4, we went up the coast to a friend's annual block party.  My first California party, woohoo.  But i didn't find the people to be any different than Indiana folks, just ordinary, friendly, welcoming people. This party was fun because we went between 3 different houses, the first for ors d'oeuvres, the second for the main course and the  final for dessert. all picnic style, outdoors.  I ate too much!

I loved the houses near the beach, we walked around and admired them. On Friday, we took some more walks in the area, checked out some shops in the area. We had a great dinner at a local establishment, my last hurrah of seafood for awhile. Sadly, my trip comes to an end as my flight leaves tomorrow morning.

It has been a memorable two weeks of adventuring on the west coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment